Monday, April 17, 2006

Namur to Dinant




Easter Monday morning I went to the Brussels train station and caught the next train out. It went to Namur. This is the capital of Wallonia (the other two regions of Belgium are Flanders to the North and Brussels Capital Region, a little bit to the north). I brought my bike with me. I then rode my bike to Dinant.
Namur is on La Meuse River. The Meuse flows through Paris, Belgium (Dinant to Namur and Liege) and through the Netherlands into the North Sea. It has been a major transportation route for years and years. The Meuse River has, over many years formed the Meuse Valley in the area of Dinant, north to Namur and Liege. The valley has provided the area with industrial products through mining and safety from attacks due to its natural features.
I took too many pictures, unlike my other rides where all my pictures are of forests only, this ride I was mostly surrounded by cliffs and the river. Both Namur and Dinant had citadels as their main tourist traps. Dinant is the home of the inventor of the Saxophone. If only there was someone here to get a picture of me with Adolphe. This place was obsessed with the saxophone.
For those that have traveled with me in the past, yes I brought too much stuff with me, but as usual, I did not get hungry. Of course the beer and fries along the river helped keep me satisfied.


The road to Dinant

How many climbers can you count on this wall?

One of three walls crawling with climbers en route.







RAVel trail. Linking Namur and Dinant.

















As mentioned above, the cliffs in the valley provided resources for the region. The deep navigable river could reach as far south as the French border.
















Vaughan is not the only one who can get sailboat photos. This river is also popular for people to travel on for leisure in the summer.








An example of one of the many boats seen traveling the river








Entering Dinant
It was a foggy morning, but it soon cleared up into a nice afternoon.



I had lunch sitting on the wall in the bottom left corner, overlooking the town of Dinant.








The Citadelle of Dinant and the Collegiate Church. The town was very tightly packed into valley.








The old wall I sat on to and ate lunch. I ate sandwiches, not moss.








Dinant, from another angle.








Citadelle and Church from across the river








Just to prove I really did go on this trip, here is my bike.




















The RAVEL. It followed the Meuse shoreline all the way between the two towns, allowing me to avoid all car traffic. It was covered with pedestrians.







Back in Namur

Once back in Namur I took time to check out its Citadelle. Again, my bike as proof.






From near the top of the Citadelle.








(Strangers who don't know they are now on the internet)




















On top of the Namur Citadelle. Tennis seems to be very popular in the region, many houses even had their own real clay courts.

Comments:
Very cool Owen. It looks and sounds like you are living life to it's fullest. I must say I'm living vicariously through you right now. Miss you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Receive an email each time this page is updated
Hangman

xe.com  Universal Currency Converter ®
Convert this amount
of this type of currency
into this type of currency.

enter any amount

scroll down to see more currencies

scroll down to see more currencies
Universal Currency Converter under license from XE.com. Terms of Use